Bio(Brief)I'm a Senior Lecturer and researcher at Busitema University in the Faculty of Engineering. I'm also part of the Makerere AI Research Group I received my PhD in Computational intelligence & modeling of crop disease data in Africa from the University of Groningen in 2020. My Bachelors and Masters degree are in Computer Science from Makerere University received in 2011 and 2015 respectively. My research interests are in machine learning and computational intelligence in relation to solving real world problems.
- July, 2021 – Google AI for Social Good, 2021. Adoption of smartphone agro-applications for field-based disease diagnosis and real-time feedback for smallholder farmers.
- June 2021: Published in IEEE Access (open access): G. Owomugisha, F. Melchert, E. Mwebaze, J. A. Quinn and M. Biehl, " Matrix Relevance Learning From Spectral Data for Diagnosing Cassava Diseases"
- April 20, 2021: Launced Busitema Artificial Intelligence & Interdisciplinary Research Group
- 27 January 2021: I received the Best PhD Engineering Thesis Award 2020 . My thesis was selected on this criteria: Scientific quality and impact, Long term societal impact and Interdisciplinary connections.
- August 2020: I received Data Science Africa (DSA) Research Award . Title: “Early detection and diagnosis of crop diseases in asymptomatic plants: acquisition and machine learning analysis of spectral data”
- August 28, 2020: I defended my PhD thesis at the University of Groningen. Thesis title:"Computational intelligence & modeling of crop disease data in Africa"
- 2019: Third winner. Uganda Biotechnology and Biosafety Consortium (UBBC) 2019. Certificate of Exemplary Innovation for Developing a low-cost 3-D printed smartphone add-on spectrometer for diagnosis of crop diseases prior to visible symptoms.